|Before adding the rice|
The original version of this is good for vegetarians, but I wanted to add meat to it.
Prep: 15 minutes. Cook: 5 to 6 hours (low) or 2.5 to 3 hours (high), plus 30 minutes (high)
2 15 oz cans chili beans in chili gravy
- subbed 1 21 oz can Bush's Texas Ranchero Grillin'Beans
1 15 oz can butter beans, rinsed and drained - omitted
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained - used 2 15 oz cans
1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
3/4 cup chopped green pepper (1 medium)
3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 medium)
1 medium fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- subbed one 7.75 oz can Chi Chi's jalapenos, chopped
1 18 oz bottle barbecue sauce
- used one 18 oz bottle Sweet Baby Rays Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
1 cup vegetable broth - subbed 1 15 oz can beef broth
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice - used 3 cups uncooked instant white rice
Added: 3 lbs kielbasa sausage, sliced
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, combine all beans, onion, peppers, and jalapeno. Stir in BBQ sauce and broth. Also add the kielbasa.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 5-6 hours or on high for 2.5 to 3 hours.
- If using low heat setting, turn to high. Stir in uncooked rice. Cover and cook about 30 minutes or until rice is tender.