Friday, March 1, 2013

Maple + Bacon = Doughnuts

The first doughnut!
Many of you know that MKR (OK, we) loves doughnuts. And I love bacon. So recently, as I was browsing the recipes on the King Arthur Flour website, I stumbled upon a recipe for these beauties, and KNEW I had to try them.

Mine didn't look like this...
Alas, I had no doughnut pan, so instead, I consoled myself by reading about the luscious Maple Bacon doughnuts at Union Square Donuts (which I have yet to try).

Photo: Bob R - who ate it all despite the fact he was supposed to save a bite for his wife :)
Last week, however, Mike and I found ourselves at Bed Bath and Beyond (yup - shopping, in an actual store!). We went looking for specific items and came home without them. We did come home with a new doughnut pan though! Yippee! Time to make the doughnuts!

So, today I had some time and decided to try my hand at the baked bliss. I got out all of the ingredients, and set about cooking the bacon, and mixing all of the ingredients as laid out in the recipe (though I only made half the amount). The prep was relatively easy, and didn't take too much time before everything went into the oven. 

The process went as follows:

Assemble ingredients
Mix batter
Prep pan (bacon and maple syrup)
Fill with batter and into the oven


While baking, mix glaze
Remove tasty treats from oven


Turn onto parchment paper
Glaze and enjoy!

I let Mike take the first bite, given that he is the aficionado at our house :). The verdict was that the doughnuts had awesome flavor, but that they tasted a bit more (OK, a lot more!) like a waffle than a doughnut. I agreed.

They will be delicious for breakfast tomorrow! And next up - trying to fry some doughnuts...

1 comment:

Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

bacon and waffles are cool too.

respect
fm