Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sucking Wheel

I think Mike was trying to kill me on our ride last night ;-).

We left the house at 6:00; the skies had turned black, but the sun was trying to come back out. We knew we didn't have a lot of time, and after Mike adjusted his fender a few times (it was rubbing on the tire), he was off like a rocket. It was all I could do, just to hang onto his wheel.

We headed from Bedford into Concord, cresting a small hill on the way at over 20 mph! From there, it was up Strawberry Hill Rd. This hill always gives me trouble, but I SOMEHOW managed to stay with Mike today, and to even beat him on the town line sprint at the top! Woohoo!

Back into full on mode, and at the bottom of the hill, I pipped him for another town line sprint - yay for me (you have to know my husband to understand just how HARD this is for me, and how satisfying it is - he's a VERY strong rider).

We continued on our [fast] ride. At one point, he turned to me and asked, "How are you doing?". My reply, "I think I am going to throw up." He just laughed. He said he knew we didn't have a lot of time, so we might as well go hard!

We squeaked in just over 25 miles last night (BTW - it is VERY dark by 7:20 pm) at an average speed of over 18 mph - my fastest ride of the season! I was pretty psyched about the ride, but also didn't move off the couch the rest of the night.

I told Mike that I need to do more rides like that - they are great training, and make me work harder than I think I can. At a couple of points in the ride, my body was telling me "No more". I didn't give in though, and stuck to that wheel like glue...