Friday, March 6, 2009

The End ... For Now!

Jean, Michele H., Michele A., ML, Kathy M, Me (and missing Susan :( )

This winter, a group of friends has been helping motivate me to ride the trainer indoors, by joining me in the basement one night a week for a "trainer party". I think it mostly has been an excuse for all of us to get together, watch chick-flicks and eat too much food, but it has been really fun regardless of the motivation.

With the onset of DST this coming weekend (woohoo!), this week was our last formal get together. So, we did what we always do - insert DVD, spin for 1.5 hours and then eat WAY too much food!




And the food part has definitely been interesting as well. First, despite no Italian in my veins whatsoever, I have a mentality of "Mange, Mange!". If someone leaves my house hungry, it is generally their own stinkin' fault - there is ALWAYS too much food. I also was in a giant food rut before this winter - eating the same old, same old week in and week out (open bag of salad, cook meat on grill - dinner). With vegetarians in our group, and other food allergies and dislikes, I was challenged out of my rut to come up with some new recipes. I'm compiling all of the winter's recipes into a "cookbook" now so that we can share, but some of the meals have included:
  • Veggie Lasagna
  • Moroccan Couscous
  • Veggie Stew
  • Mac-n-Cheese
  • Baked Beans
  • Pasta Primavera with Miso Dressing
  • Fiesta Chili
  • and a host of apps and desserts
Now I'll start to ride outdoors after work, but will probably quickly languish back into my old food rut, despite some new culinary adventures the past two months.

Thanks to all of you who helped the winter training seem more "palatable"! I'm still looking forward to "having the time of my life" though ;)

No comments: