Thursday, July 12, 2007

Training Camp Payoff

Well, it seems as though last week's training camp has paid off for me. In last night's TT, I managed to set a PR by 36 seconds - breaking below the 24 minute mark with a time of 23:56! That translates to an average speed of approx. 24.5 mph - woohoo!

Mike had a good night as well, tying his PR time of 22:09. He started 1 minute behind me last night, and my goal was to be to Carlisle center before he managed to pass me. I got to Carlisle and still hadn't seen him, or Norm (who started 30 seconds behind me). I looked at my average speed there, and saw that it was 25.5 mph - faster than I have ever ridden the front part of the course! I thought that my readings must be off...

Mike finally passed me as we turned onto River Rd and onto the "hilly" part of the course. Later both he and Norm told me they were surprised at how long it took them to catch me - goal achieved! Once I got to the top of Punkatasset hill, I looked at my time and knew that I was on target for a PR, and HOPED that I could break the 24 minute mark. I put on the gas the whole rest of the way to achieve that goal as well (my overall goal for the TT for the season).

All in all, a very successful night! Now we need to work on that tandem record ;-).

I also went to an NEBC meeting this week, and was handed the Northeast Bicycle Club Annette M. McCloskey Memorial trophy. Last year, I won the club championship for the women. This involved both a time trial, and a road race with the winner having the best combined times. I think it's cool to have this as a reward, but I'm not so sure that I want to spend time polishing it ;-).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That's always a rush, the "I'm at the top of Punk Hill and I can break my record" feeling! Of course now that I have no speedo or time on the bike it's always a crapshoot!

mkr said...

I checked and my old PR was actually 22:09.9 so my 22:09.5 beat it! Woo-hoo, .4 seconds!

claudia said...

Congratulations! You are doing awesome this year.

Caroline said...

Way to go, Cathy!

CC

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! you go girl..... Job Done! Keep it up...
Becky