Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Vacation Day 3 - MTB and Fireworks

Happy Independence Day!

We had a great day today, spending the holiday with good friends for a ride and cookout - just the way July 4th should be.

Late last week, I became the proud new owner of this:


And of course, I needed to take it for a test run, and today was the perfect opportunity (after all the miles from the past two days, it was kind of a relief to only ride 9 miles today!). I haven't actually been on my mountain bike much since I started road/cross racing. I rode some in the winter, but once the season starts, I almost exclusively am on the road for a couple of reasons: good for my training, no bugs and most importantly, no poison ivy ;-).

So, Mike headed over to Becky and Don's on his road bike, and I loaded up the new ride in the not-mom van to head over for the first ride. Friends were surprised that I was actually going on the MTB ride (vs. the road ride), and even more surprised to see the new bike. We had a great time on the trails in Bolton, and the bike felt great. I may even have to go out and ride more off road...







After heading back, we topped the afternoon with some great food, some drink, and good company. Unfortunately, the rain they were predicting started a little early, so the fireworks pictures have to come from my garden instead - the lilies were exploding in color when I returned from Houston, and some are still to bloom. These remind me of fireworks, so Happy 4th of July!


3 comments:

claudia said...

That pink water bottle cage is a nice touch!

tmc said...

Wahoo! I knew I'd get you to ride off road more! Sweet bike (but where you going to put it?) ;-)

Becky said...

Yes, a very fun time was had by all. So glad to see you on the MTB bike. Welcome back.....